Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The 90's just called, they want their National Geographic DVDs

This made me sad in a few ways.

One, receiving all 8000 issues of National Geographic seems completely underpriced at $25. They should just charge a subscription for access. Maybe have tiers of access levels. How about a $5 one-day pass. And what about a summer reading program for kids, where they earn prizes for reading articles and passing a comprehension test? How many articles do they have on dinosaurs alone? How about a partnership with museums for special exhibits: nominal paid access to related NG content, maybe even with advertising. I think they could have monetized this better and not devalued their content in the process.

Secondly, its shipped on DVD. I suppose you have to cater to folks who dont have Internet access - that 40% of the US. But the last thing I want is a bunch of DVDs when all I want to do is read this on my tablet. Is this really the most cost effective way to distribute? Where is the National Geographic app for iPad?

At least you have to pay $10 for successive years. NG got one annuity in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment