Tuesday, March 01, 2011

With Update to ‘Social Search,’ Google Embraces The Crowd

http://feeds.wired.com/~r/wiredbusinessblog/~3/ktSBUu7Zo7Q/

"The Google search engine was implicitly built on the premise that the view of the New York Times' critic should prevail. An analysis of the link structure of the web would reveal the Times as a popular destination. But others argue that in the real world, people are influenced by their friends and contacts, and Google's historic approach is lacking. The best product endorsements, the most useful suggestions of what to read, the most clever tips on how to perform a task, come from people we know."

Hmm. 2 comments.
If I'm a (closet) egomaniac, then only experts opinions matter. And my friends opinions don't. Unless they are aggregated from a large enough pool that they then average out to the same opinion as the experts opinion.

If I want to buy music, or see a movie, I would want friend recommendations. But if I want to buy a vacuum cleaner, i'll go to consumer reports; no question.

I guess I can turn in my Generation X card, cuz I don't get it.

1 comment:

  1. Really? Consumer reports? They've failed me too many times. If hundreds of people buy a product, and it never fails, that's what I want to hear. That also gives statistical significance on product quality. -Geoffrey

    ReplyDelete