Saturday, January 05, 2013

Now that's what I call battery life!

One error in my list of tips. Set "Wifi on during sleep" to "Always", not "only when plugged in". This setting seems to be a relic of the days when Wifi was a total battery hog, which isn't the case anymore - the 4G radio has taken that crown. It seems that otherwise the syncing that happens when the screen is off will use 4G. And 4G is writing checks the battery can't cash.
This is the biggest Achilles heel of Android phones today and should be phone makers top priority. There is way too much (default) background syncing going on. Or I should say, battery capacities have not caught up to the awesomeness of Your Android Data Everywhere, Right Now.

The attached picture is about as awesome a battery life graph as I can expect from Android. It shows a loss of only 23% battery capacity in five and a half hours. The graph is nearly flat when the screen is off, and very little "AWAKE" activity is happening when the screen is off. And, this performance was achieved without having to disable 4G! Which I still haven't found a way to do.  Guess I don't need to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment