Sunday, May 06, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Note rooted, pictures can now be taken without embarassment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehXcnqntsro

I bought an international version of the Samsung Galaxy Note which allowed me to buy one before the US versions came out - but the big downside was that the Hong Kong ROM in mine would not allow the shutter sound to be turned OFF. Yes, there was no app or system setting that allowed turning the shutter off, and even setting media volume=0, or system sound = mute didnt do it.  Undoubtedly a privacy thing in Hong Kong. So I was forced to do what I swore I would never do - root my phone.  In this case I had no warranty to worry about since I bought the phone from a private seller. So what did i have to lose? And the shutter sound was driving me effing bananas.  It played at maximum volume even with system volume off or muted.  Making me look like an idiot user who doesnt know how to turn the shutter sound off!!

The link above is to a tutorial to reflash a Galaxy Note that has a newer ROM (I had LA2).  The new ROM is already ROOTed.  I suppose I could also have reflashed to a ROM that allowed the shutter sound to be turned off.  But I might as well have root.

And best of all it did not wipe the phone!  I still have all my apps and settings!!  All of you Android users know how long it takes to restore your phone to it's perfect customized configuration...

No comments:

Post a Comment