Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: Kindle Fire a worthwhile bargain - CNN.com

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/kindle-fire-review/index.html

Based on the above review and others that ive read, the Fire is a great choice if reading is your primary interest.

Great for
- Kindle ebooks
- reading content of all kinds (magazines, news, blogs, websites) - anything accessible thru a web browser
- email, Facebook
- music (thru Amazon music service)
- movies (another Amazon service)

These Android services make the Fire superior to the Nook.

But, the downsides are (and the Nook shares these)
- small battery
- poky performance
- fewer apps
- no cut/paste (i use this extensively while blogging, also cut/pasting UPS shipping numbers from emails to UPS  websites)
- no gps for google maps
- no accelerometer, gyro for fancy games
- no cameras
- no mic (no skype)
- no 3G service; Wifi only

" But the Kindle's battery loses a charger much faster than the iPad. I was able to surf the Web and play videos for several hours, but I found myself frequently searching for a charger after that.

That Amazon skimped on some of the components becomes evident when swiping through menus, switching the screen's orientation or playing games, which can all be jerky at times. The split-second delays are even present when turning pages on a Kindle e-book, which should be the pride of an Amazon device. The lack of a microphone means no Skype or other Internet telephony programs."

1 comment:

  1. I think if you want a general purpose tablet, you should probably get a Galaxy Tab. I bought my Kindle Fire so that it would not be infested with all the stuff--messaging, personal/sensitive info, etc.--that I have on my jealously protected phone. I do notice that it's not nearly as smooth as my GS2, but oh well, it was $200.

    ReplyDelete