Monday, September 13, 2010

first google videochat

my buddy just called me over google voice and invited me to a videocall.  thank goodness it shows a big picture of yourself and asks "do you want to answer this call?" since i was sitting in bed in my pj's.   i was decent, so i clicked "accept."

also, it was a little disconcerting to have a phonecall where I also had to make eye contact.  i am so used to talking on the phone and staring off into space, or down at my keyboard, basically expressionless, that i had to force myself to engage him.  also, the lag was tremendous - i would start talking without realizing he was done talking, and all of a sudden we'd be talking over each other.

but even though voice calls are dwindling, might it be that we'll prefer the richness of face to face conversation to one-dimensional voice-only conversations?  in the 30  years that the world has had video conferencing, only very recently has anyone (in this case, Apple) made us feel like we were missing out on something if we weren't having video conversations.

but google got it into the hands of everyone on the internet; apple has to make do with only 40 million. in other words, BUY CISCO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment